The role of a Digital Champion is to help people gain basic computer skills and confidence online. Some digital champions help out at Job Clubs to assist those looking for employment with acquiring the computer skills necessary for successful job searching in the competitive Wessex job market. Others help out as Digital Champions in Dorset libraries such as Wareham or Swanage, Purbeck computer clubs, and community based groups in the local village halls of ancient Wessex. Digital Champions help and support people in their local community to use the internet and gain basic online skills by teaching basic digital computer skills such as:
- How to create an email address
- Staying in touch with friends and family via email, social media or video calls
- Finding information online, for example hobbies, local events, the news around Wessex and other digital information
- Accessing public services information online
- Other simple online tasks that people might request
Computer Skills: Would you like help to get online?
I spent many years as one of several Digital Champions volunteering with Dorset Skills&Learning. I worked regularly at Wareham Library and Winfrith Village Hall. I would be delighted to help you with your computer skills at one of our sessions. Forthcoming events. You can always contact me directly at Wessex Digital for more information.
I am able to offer basic computer lessons and tuition to anyone living in the historic Purbeck region of Dorset with a desire to improve their digital skills. My outreach work takes me regularly into the Purbeck centres: Corfe Castle, Wareham, Swanage, but mostly into the surrounding Purbeck villages e.g. Arne, Stoborough, Ridge, Church Knowle, Furzebrook, Creech, Steeple, Kingston, Worth Matravers, Langton Matravers, Studland and Harman’s Cross, to name but a few.
My visits also take me to other Purbeck locations such as Wool and its neighbouring villages including Winfrith Newburgh, Moreton, Bovington, East Stoke, East Holm, East Lulworth, West Lulworth, Kimmeridge, Coombe Keynes, East Knighton, Chaldon Herring, and as far up as Bere Regis, Briantspuddle, Affpuddle, Turnerspuddle, Morden, Bloxworth and Lytchett Matravers. If you live anywhere in the Purbeck area, Poole or Bournemouth or Christchurch help is at hand. Please feel free to message me for more details.
Do You Need Help to Use A Computer?
I will take you through all the basics computer skills
- Switching on, using the mouse and keyboard.
- Keyboard control – Typing Lessons.
- Mouse or touchpad control.
- Searching the internet.
- Sending and receiving email.
- E-safety, guarding against identity theft, phishing and scamming.
Would you like some tips on using the Internet?
Learn how to go on the internet and visit websites
- Social media (Facebook, Twitter etc.)
- Shopping online (Amazon, Ebay, Supermarkets etc.)
- Browsing the web for fun, or to find information (Wickipedia etc.)
Do you want to improve your computer skills?
Learn how to use Microsoft Office applications
- Word processing – writing letters and documents.
- Desktop publishing – creating attractive posters for events etc.
- Playing music and videos on Windows Media Player.
- Interfacing your smartphone or camera with your computer or tablet.
- Skype. One-to-one ‘facetime’ with family and friends anywhere.
Then Get MORE out of your computer today with private one-to-one personal tuition
Further to your free sessions with the Digital Champions I can offer you one-to-one personal tuition by private arrangement. For example, I can provide help to use a range of technologies, including smartphones, digital tablets, or any MS Windows /Android based technology. Please enquire for more information. Please feel free to use your own laptop/tablet, or if you prefer a laptop can be provided. Depending on the circumstances I can also diagnose or fix certain computer problems.